30 April 2015

My Thoughts On The Movie 'Home'

I love watching movies, especially comedy and animation.

Just last month my husband Ashley and I went to watch The Wedding Ringer, a comedy staring Kevin Hart and Kaley Cuoco. It also starred Jason Gad.

Many may not know this until they hear him speak, but Jason Gad was the voice of Olaf from the animated movie Frozen.

All in all it was a good movie. So with a comedy ticked off our list, it was time to watch an animated movie.

A new release Home from DreamWorks was our pick.


I was drawn to this movie mostly because the lead character was voiced by Jim Parsons who plays one of my favourite tv characters Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory.

In all honesty, I think I was more excited for the movie than Danielle was.

When it began, Danielle, Ashley and I were glued to the screen.

The movie had a lot of hype around it because of the star voice cast which included Jennifer Lopez and Rihanna.

Jim Parsons did an amazing job of voicing his character Oh.


I had always pictured what Sheldon Cooper would be like as an alien and this was totally it!

I was however, disappointed with the other lead, Tip, voiced by Rihanna.

Her voice did not match the character. You could also hear that she wasn't making much effort to play the character, just spitting out lines from a script.


What made the experience even worse was that there were at least 4 Rihanna songs played throughout the movie.

It was almost as if it was a promo piece for Rihanna, not a movie about a cute purple alien on a mission, who befriends a girl who's on a mission of her own.

Jennifer Lopez was a good match for her character Lucy, who was Tip's mum. You could feel the maternal love in her voice.


Overall the movie plot was lovely. What ruined it for me was the Rihanna aspect.

I'm all for getting stars to contribute to a movie soundtrack, but playing so many songs from one artist in the actual movie is just something else.

It didn't help that the acting, in an animation movie, was really bad.

So this was my experience with the movie Home. Have you watched it?

Did you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments below :)

*Image Credit: Google Images*

No comments:

Post a Comment