13 March 2015

Friday the 13th: Mzansi Superstitions Revealed

Today is Friday the 13th, and while that doesn't mean much to me, there are a lot of people out there that believe in superstitions.

I'm very much the 'now' generation. I don't believe in old wives tales nor do I believe in the bad luck theories of yesteryear.

Indian people believe in a lot of superstitions. So when I was pregnant it was a constant battle with the older folk about "you can't do this and don't do that while you're pregnant".

One that I distinctly remember is that you shouldn't use a knife on a full moon when you're pregnant, because the baby will be born with a cut on the head. Another was that if you eat ice or drink lots of cold stuff, your baby will be born with a cold.

Needless to say I was on maternity leave and did my own cooking without checking the phases of the moon, and because I was pregnant in the height of Summer which is January, I lived on ice water and ice cream, and Danielle didn't have a cold when she was born. If anything she now has mad love for ice cream.


With it being Friday the 13th I thought I'd ask people from different walks of life to share some of the superstitions they've heard of. Here they are:

*Thandeka: "People say that you should not buy your girlfriend or boyfriend shoes because they'll walk out of the relationship."

*Shamala: "It's bad luck to play cards in the house."

*Mamokhafisi: "If you break a mirror you will receive 7 years of bad luck."

*Wesley: "When your eye beats, something bad is going to happen."

*Cebo: "You mustn't sing while eating because you will become a bad singer, or you won't be able to sing well."

*Ashley: "When your right palm itches you're getting money."

*Melusha: "If you kill a frog your mother's head will pain."

*Nikita: "If you step on someone's books or school bag you will ruin their education."

*Erica: "If you dream about a wedding, someone is going to die."

*Denise: "If you wring or squeeze a baby's clothes when you wash it, the baby's body will pain."

So there you have it. It's not just Indian people that have superstitions.

We have a rainbow nation of people who have heard of or believe in various things that should not be done because it will bring them bad luck.

Why not share any other superstitions you know in the comments below, and I will add them to this post :)

Happy Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment